Check your email, update your facebook and join me every Thursday for a small SPARK in your life. "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." James 3:4-6















Daily Truth

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Life on Purpose and Abundant

Above all, you must live as citizens of heaven, conducting yourselves in a manner worthy of the Good News about Christ. Then, whether I come and see you again or only hear about you, I will know that you are standing together with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News... For you have been given not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him. We are in this struggle together.                                             Phillipians 1:27 & 29-30

What’s our purpose? What’s my purpose in this life.

So many days we walk this life day by day and we lose sight of what we are doing or where we are going. We’re not lost. We are just moving through the motions of life. But what’s our purpose? What’s the point of everyday.

Daily living…wake up, get your family ready for the day, head to your daily work, whatever that may be, go about your day, come home, take care of your home, try to get to bed early and start all over the next day.

Is that it? Is that all we do? What’s the point? What are we living for?




Some of us live for our kids. All we do revolves around our children. Some may live for our spouse…we are constantly trying to make ourselves better for them, or create what we think they want in their lives. Some of us may live for church, and the time we spend "serving" and doing “church” things consumes us. Or perhaps you live for work, for that extra dollar, that promotion.

Are you missing out on a higher calling? What is your true purpose?

Phillipians 1:27 and 30 says “ we are fighting together for the faith, which is the good news…we are in this struggle together.”

Our purpose is to fight for the faith. It’s a priveledge and a struggle.




We are not called to walk life day by day. We are not called to be complacent to daily living. We are called to “fight for the faith.” We are in a fight everyday whether we know it or not. Whether we believe it or not. "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but...against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." Ephesians 6:12
We are living in a dark world. Engaged in a fight for our lives and the lives of those we love. Our purpose is not to fight for that promotion, or fight for more money for the PTA or fight for a new church bulletin! Our purpose is to fight for the Good News.

What is the good news?

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only son that whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

"...I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." John 10:10

Life more abundantly. Abundantly: syn. overflowing, oversufficient, more than adequate.

I don’t know about you, but I want that life. I want a life overflowing in blessing. Abundant in grace and mercy. Oversufficient in love. Overflowing in forgiveness. Abundant in truth.

The abundant life.

Life sometimes gets complacent. It gets dull. It gets mediocre and monotonus.

And many times, I think I am to blame for that. So many times when things are crazy in my home, when kids are sick or work is stressful or weekends are filled I wish for "normalcy". Monotony.

I don’t want that. I want life to be abundant and overflowing.

Truth: When life is crazy and busy and stressful, I spend more time with my Savior. Perhaps it’s by default, but nonetheless it's true.

When life is easy or “normal,” when I am taking a break from the “struggle” of this life I don’t need to rely on my God. I don’t need to trust Him. My faith is fine right where it is. I don’t need an abundant life because things are manageable, easy, monotonous.

But the “struggle” is a “priviledge.” When I am fighting for the health of my family I remember his truths that “No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn" Isaiah 54:17.

When I am fighting for favor at my husbands job I remember that "He blesses the righteous; He surrounds them with his favor as with a shield" Psalm 5:12.

I don’t want my purpose in this life to be just going though the motions; getting by on day to day living.

My purpose is to raise my kids to "love the Lord their God with all their heart, soul and strength" Deuteronomy 6:5. My purpose is to “greatly enrich” my husbands life and “bring[s] him good, not harm” Proverbs 31: 12 My purpose is to “encourage one another and build each other up” 1 Thesolonians 5:11.

This is not always easy. Many days I struggle on simply raising my kids, not to mention teaching them to love the Lord. I struggle with honoring my husband and loving him for there are days when I want to say “leave me alone for 5 minutes!” I struggle with encouraging others when I feel like all I do is pour myself into everything but me.

But if I want an abundant life…a life that is full of blessing and overflowing, I will struggle to fulfill my purpose. I will fight. And there may be days when I fail, when I lose, when victory is lost, but on the days that I win, the days when my kids love like Christ loves, when my husband shows his appreciation, when I am pouring myself out so that He will fill me again…That is Life Abundant. That is Purpose Fulfilled.

Prayer

"Father Thank you for giving me a purpose greater than my own. Help me remember that it is a priveledge to struggle for the Good News. Remind me that the Life you desire for me is full of blessing and abundance and give me the courage and strength to fight for an abundant life so that my family will be blessed by my obedience. In your precious name, Amen.

Reflections

What is your purpose in this life? What are some areas in your life that you want God's abundance to be overflowing? What is "normal" for you?" Do you tend to find that when life is "normal" your relationship with God is complacent?" How can you increase God's abundance in your life daily?

Actions to Take

Write down how you are "fighting for the faith, or the Good News." How are those struggles fulfilling the purpose that God has called you to in the season you are in now? Examine your reasons for the fights you take on and align them with God's purpose for you.

Spark Challenges

  •  I will no longer seek the norm, but find priviledge in the struggle.
  • I will find my purpose for what God is called me to be right now.
  • I will no longer be fine with a complacent relationship with God, but will seek Him always.
  • I will realize that I am always in some struggle for the Good News and I will do whatever it takes to fight for the Abundant Life.
Spark Truth to Remember

"The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD, endures forever— do not abandon the works of your hands."                  Psalm 138:8


"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."   Proverbs 19:21

"...being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."        Philippians 1:6

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance." Jude 1:2

No comments: