Check your email, update your facebook and join me every Thursday for a small SPARK in your life. "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." James 3:4-6















Daily Truth

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

True Calling

I have been thinking about my calling as a Christ follower for that last few days. This subject has come up in different ways and I have run across a few blogs that have mentioned this.


We all have callings. We all have seasons for our callings. Our callings change over time, they may transform, mature or even end for another to begin.


Everyone's calling is different. We have different spheres of influences.

Right now, in this season of life I have a small sphere of influence. I don't work outside of my home. Most of my friends are believers with their own calls. There are few people that I come in contact with who do not know Christ who I personally know. The majority of people I come in contact with on a daily basis includes the checker at the grocery store and the moms on Sammy's t-ball team.


It's a small sphere. And I am called to reach those who I come in contact with whether I do so by inviting them to church or befriending them and showing Christ through my walk with Him.


However, there is one rather large piece in my sphere that I have great influence on. That I have an incredible calling for. That is my highest calling and most challenging call.


My greatest calling is to my husband, children and the home God has blessed me with. It is my greatest calling. My greatest challenge.


It is a calling above everything else. It takes president over any other lost soul, hurting country or dying generation.


I have it only for a season and I must do all that I can to be a Godly influence and example to my husband and children. 

My husband and I are in this together...and though he is the head of our home, I am the thermostat. I control the atmosphere. I want an atmosphere of praise in my home. I want an atmosphere of compassion, love, gentleness, kindness and truth. I am called to be the thermostat, to create the atmosphere in which we live. He will function well as the head of the home, he will fulfill his calling when I am fulfilling mine.


My goal in this season of life is to bring up my children in the Lord so that they will not depart from Him (Prov. 22:6). 


My goal is for them to Love the Lord with all thier heart, soul and mind and write it on our door posts. 
(Deut. 6:5-9).


My goal is for them to know the truth so that they will be set free (John 8:32).



My goal is for them to think on things that are pure, honest, just, holy (Phil. 4:8).

My goal is for them to Trust in the Lord with all their hearts. To do everything for the glory of God (Prov. 3:5-6)


What would it cost me to save the whole world but not shape and mold the hearts of my children? (Mark 8:36)


So many times I think maybe I am not doing enough. Maybe I am not serving enough. Maybe I should volunteer or join a mom group do something so I can meet more people and show them Jesus...broaden my sphere of influence.


But that's not my calling right now.


All those things are great, but what matters most right now are the hearts of my children and my husband.


My calling is to be constantly refined so that I can win the hearts of my children and husband.


Whoa.


That's a little scary.


To be refined is to go through fire. A piece of gold must meet the flame and be purged of all impurities before it is worth anything. 

I am being refined daily. I go through daily struggles and constantly fail, but I am being refined. And it's worth it because I come out more pure, more ready to take on my calling. 

This calling....it is at times overwhelming. But there is no greater calling than to raise my children to know and fear God. And to live every day rejoicing in the day he has made (Ps. 116:44).

Nothing else matters. I only have so much time before they take the lessons I have taught them and make their own choices. 

No matter what season of life you are in you have a calling like no one else's. You have a sphere of influence. God has appointed you and placed you where you are for such a time as this.


Give praise for his refinement and make every day of influence count.


Prayer

Father I am sorry for taking advantage of the time and the season you have placed me in. Forgive me for wanting to be more when You have given me so much. Wanting to do more, when the greatest calling has been in my arms. Thank your for your patience, for your trust that you have in me to fulfill what you have called me to do. Thank you for refining me and allowing me to be better and able. Be patient with me Lord. Thank you for the calling of raising sons and daughters who Love you and help me to fulfill it. In your precious name, Amen.


Spark Challenge

What is your calling? Think about this. Pray about it. What has God called you to in this season of your life. What are you doing to fulfill it? Take some time out today and ask the Lord to show you what He has called you to and ask Him the path you need to take to fulfill that calling. 

Actions to take

On an index card write down what your calling is and put it in your bible or prayer journal or even on somewhere you can see it everyday like a nightstand or vanity mirror. Read it and remind yourself of it everyday.


Write down some things on what you can do to fulfill your calling. For example, one of my goals is to have scripture written on my walls so that the children can see these and read these everyday, whether that is with decals or wall art.


Take a minute everyday to speak life into someone in your sphere of influence. Spark life into them with your words whether through encouragement, praise, words of thankfulness and appreciation, etc.


Spark Truths

"The wise in heart are called discerning, and pleasant words promote instruction." Proverbs 16:21

"Thus says God the LORD,
Who created the heavens and stretched them out,
Who spread out the earth and its offspring,
Who gives breath to the people on it
And spirit to those who walk in it,
6"I am the LORD, I have called You in righteousness,
I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You,
And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people,
As a light to the nations." Is. 42:5-7


"In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy." 1 Peter 1:6-8

1 comment:

Kaylene Yoder said...

Oh, I like this one, too! Probably because my calling is very similar to yours. Doing the mom/wife/blogger thing right now.
This really spoke to me "I only have so much time before they take the lessons I have taught them and make their own choices." So very true!
Keep writing for Him! Blessings!