Check your email, update your facebook and join me every Thursday for a small SPARK in your life. "Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." James 3:4-6















Daily Truth

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Daughters of Virtue

1When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.   
                                                                           1 Corinthians 13:11


I spent last weekend reading an amazing book. It's the new one by Francine Rivers, "Her Mother's Hope."


It was AMAZING and I encourage everyone to read it! 


If you have never read anything by Ms. Rivers, go out and buy all her books! I haven't found one I didn't love, learn from, cry with or even grow with. 


She has an amazing ability to really make you think about your relationship with God, what you believe, grow your faith and thank God for his endless mercies...and all through works of fiction! 


And, "Her Mother's Hope" did the all this for me once again. 


A story of how the life of a mother affects how she raises her children and why it made me really stop and think about how I want to raise my children, especially my daughter. 


My mother is a wonderful woman. A strong woman who loves the Lord with all her heart. We have a friendship that I treasure. Her friendship is a blessing in my life. 


There is something about relationships between mother and daughter. Reading the book in many ways I could relate to both mother and daughter and I suppose that many feelings or situations tend to be somewhat universal. 


My mom and I have have a great relationship now but it wasn't always so. My adolescence was full of teenage drama! Falling in love at 14 would scare any mother ( I pray against it for my sweet daughter every day!). My parents weren't perfect, but they did what they thought was right and they did it to protect me as much as possible. I know that now and I am thankful for it. But you can imagine the tears that were shed from that fifteen year old long ago! 


At that time, my mom and I weren't the best of friends. I loved her. She loved me. And, we got along great. We always enjoyed shopping together and we had a relationship, but it was a mother/ daughter relationship. She made the rules that I didn't always understand or agree with. I many times rebelled. It was hard. 


We've all been there I'm sure. 


But now we are friends. I grew up. I no longer thought as a child, I put away childish things. 


All that to say, I have really been thinking about what I want for my daughter in this life. What do I believe is important for her as she grows? What goes without question? What characteristics does she need? Everything else doesn't matter. Everything else will fall into place if her character is molded. 


I want my daughter to be a daughter of virtue and strength. I want her to have a quiet strength. I want her to know how to care for her future household. I want her to be humble, but lovely. I want her to be kind and generous. I want her to be diligent and disciplined. 


The list goes on. 


So what must I do to see that she becomes this? Speak it into her. Tell her who she is in Christ. Tell her that she is kind. That she is able. That she is lovely. 


I want to give her wings so that when she is ready she will fly. 


Spark Challenges


How is/was your relationship with your mother? What can you do to get beyond the mother/ daughter relationship and become friends. Sometimes you have to put away the past, forgive, bite your tongue and set aside your pride. Is it worth it? 


What do you want your daughters to become? What virtues do you want them to have? How can you instill these virtues? How can you teach them to be Proverbs 31 women? 


Spark Truths



9I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
 11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
                                                                      1 Timothy 2: 9-11





25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
       she can laugh at the days to come.

 26 She speaks with wisdom,
       and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

 27 She watches over the affairs of her household
       and does not eat the bread of idleness.

                                               Proverbs 31: 25-27

1 comment:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Thanks so much for sharing this review. I read the one about the prostitute. It was a tough one. I may read another one of these days.
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage